An upcoming (and much needed) vacation has me ready to unplug from the internet, twitter, email, and all that jazz. There’s still some time between now and then so as the time slowly approaches towards Margaritas, Mojitos and Coronas, plans are underway for the un-plugging from the grid for a week. First off, content is slowly being built up and scheduled to run for the week of the absence so fear not dear readers, things shall continue both here and on the podcast unabated.
The goal of the vacation is to really unplug – from work, from the continued work on both the blog and the podcast, from everything… So, with the goal being to disconnect completely, in order to keep the brain entertained, I am not reading an of my photography magazines, and am looking for some photo books to read. Since the trip will be roughly nine days, I figure 4 books would be a good things come in threes, I figured it would be a nice set of texts to take with me on the trip. Three have entered my list thus far:
- The Hot Shoe Diaries by Joe McNally (what can I say, The Moment It Clicks was probably my favorite read last year..)
- Fast Track Photographer by Dane Sanders (I heard about this on TWIP, from Scott Bourne, episode 101)
- Stop Stealing Sheep by Erik Spiekermann (I heard about this from my friend, Dave Zarzacki on the NAPP forums)
So, in need of one more to round out the top three, I’d like to throw the doors open. Any good books out there? Keep in mind, four books in nine days, so I am looking for a book with some interesting criteria. Here’s what I’d like to see…
- I want to take something to read – perusing images is fine and dandy and a great source of inspiration, but sometimes it’s nice to sink your teeth into a narrative or two to give some depth to the content.
- I want to take something with depth, but not too much. If I have to get my camera out to see what the author is saying because I can’t grasp it without the assistance, then it’s too technical and requires too much thought. So, nothing too technical that requires a lot of attention (remember, it’s about margaritas, mojitos and Coronas this trip!)
- I want to take something that can be read in a day or two – nothing like War and Peace that will take up too much room in the bag.
The three above sound like they’ll fit the bill, but there’s got to be a fourth out there. Rather than scour the internet for a fourth, I’d like to open it up the the reading audience here. Clearly you like to read – so what can you suggest for me? If I end up taking a book suggested in the comments, there could be a gift card from B&H for some lucky listener! (Just give me the suggestion by next week Friday, the 21st so I can order and get it in time).
Thanks in advance for any and all input. Until tomorrow – Happy Shooting!